Honey can be very useful when you're trying to manage weight.
1. Supplant Sugar with Honey Cut out all sugar, including sweeteners, by using honey as an alternative. Start your day with honey in hot water, replace sugar with honey in tea and coffee, on cereal, and in all your cooking throughout the day.
How will this help, we hear you ask? Let us help you understand better. Normal table sugar which is present in all of our houses contains calories which benefit you in absolutely no way. These calories, which give you very little or no nutrition are known as "empty calories". Your body uses up essential nutrients just to dissolve this unnecessary fat. Because most of our important nutrients and vitamins get used up here, we tend to gain weight while ingesting either pure sugar or sugar in other forms.
This is exactly why honey, being a good source of nutrients, when substituted for sugar helps in reducing weight.
2. Pick Unrefined Carbs The refined white flour found in white pasta and white rice can cause blood sugar spikes. Whole meal bread, pasta and brown rice are fiber-rich, so they are good for your digestion, take longer for your body to process and keep you feeling fuller for longer. Make sure that the whole meal carbs make up less than a quarter of your meal, and fill your plate with protein and vegetables.
3. Protein, protein, protein By making sure you have protein in every meal, you will feel fuller for longer and avoid blood sugar spikes leading to cravings. Try to keep protein as lean as possible to keep the calories down, such as fish (not breaded or battered), chicken (no skin), pork (fat trimmed), beef (steak or 5% fat mince) or eggs.
4. Follow the Hibernation Diet The hibernation diet is basically a diet that teaches us how we can manage weight while sleeping. Sounds too good to be true? In this diet, all you need to do is have a spoonful of honey before hitting the bed at night. This technique makes use of our biology. The honey fuels our liver which in turn speeds up the fat burning metabolism. Just like the name of this diet suggests, you can manage weight while hibernating.
5. Improves Digestion Honey has also been known to improve the functioning of the digestive system. Eating a spoon or two of honey after dinner works wonders. Especially when you’ve had a large meal, having a spoon of honey helps in reducing the static weight accumulated in your digestive system.